Saturday, January 19, 2013

Rabbit's snow dance


We have been loving this book.  It really makes my day to come across a book that is equally enjoyed between mother and son.  And in the back of my mind, I love it even more because I love folktales and animal stories; I believe in their power. 

You must read this book to truly understand my story, but in the book, there is a snow dance. 
EEEE OOO
Thump! Thump!
EEEE OOO
Thump! Thump!
Yo Yo Yo!
Yo Yo Yo!
The rabbit gets his drum and sings the refrain so that it will snow.  Well, for the past 3 nights, at about 8:30 p.m., Calvin and I could be found on our front porch, squatting low near the concrete. Calvin has been in pajamas and bare feet.  I've been in shorts and flip flops (despite very cold temps for us!) We've been singing the snow dance, loud and proud, beating the rhythm on the concrete as we go.  It has been exuberant.  It is just one of those times where, as a mom, you get a vision of yourself 20 years from now, looking back at this silly, crazy, delightful moment in time. Those moments make me pause.  They sorta make me want to cry, too, but they are such a reminder to me that this moment is this moment.  Time keeps going. A child keeps growing. The timeline on these precious memories is limited. 
In an improbable twist...it "snowed" on Tuesday of this week.  Quotations are merited. Anyone above a certain southern latitude would spew their coffee all over me if I called what happened on Tuesday snow. But there's a 5 year old who believes his snow dance worked. ! So we're going to go with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...